Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Melissa Fowkes Biography

Hello! My name is Melissa Fowkes and this is my second summer in Duquesne University's Project SEED program. In the fall of 2014, I am going to be entering Sto-Rox High School as a senior, which I am very excited to do. My interests outside of school are reading and art. I am also in my high school's marching and concert bands, so I guess I could say music is one of my interests, as well.
One of my favorite classes in school was chemistry, and that is the reason why I applied to SEED. Josh Lucas, the former co-coordinator of the program and my former chemistry teacher, recognized my passion for science, and pushed me to apply. I also have friends who have participated in the program in the past and they've boasted about it saying that it was a great learning experience. I couldn't agree with them more. I have looked forward to being back here in Mellon Hall all school year.
The one thing that I am looking forward to most this summer in SEED is the second year's trip to San Francisco for the American Chemical Society meeting. I can't wait to present my project to professionals outside of Duquesne. On the other hand, the one thing I am looking forward to least is the SEED group meetings. I don't know why I dread them so much, but I do. That doesn't affect my outlook on the program though, I guess it's just a confidence thing.
My impression of the program after day one has given me hope that this summer is going to be challenging and a great opportunity. My project was changed, and I have already learned to much about it after working for only a few hours yesterday. I can't wait to begin completely.
Once I graduate this spring, I plan to attend a university and study pharmacology. I want to apply here at Duquesne, as well as the University of Pittsburgh and Michigan State University. After that though, I guess I just want to begin my life.
Until the next blog challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment