Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

6-18-14 Summary

        Today was actually interesting to me. As soon as I got in my lab, my secondary mentor had me start on my things to do.  I had to make my solution today.  First, I calculated how much powder of ODPA (octadecylphosphonic acid) I needed for the solution.  I then measured that amount in a little container.  Next, I measured 50 ml of THF (tetrahydrofuran) in a graduated cylinder as the solvent. The next step I took was that I poured the THF in the ODPA, closed the lid, and labeled it.   I had to take out the pieces of metal that I put in the heating machine/oven and put them in a small container.  After I did that, I labeled it and put it away.  Then I started to work in my workbook to better understand the calculations that I am going to work with. 

        After lunch, I went back to my work area in my lab.  I got 2 containers.  With the sanded side facing up, I put 3 pieces of metal in each container.  I then poured a little of the solution (ODPA + THF) in each container.  I labeled the first one ODPA in 1 minute and the second one ODPA in 30 minutes. After a minute passed, I took the metal pieces out of the 1 minute container and put them on a glass plate.  Then, I put it n the heating machine/oven to stay overnight.  After 30 minutes passed, I did the same thing to the 30 minute container.  I still had time after that, so I just worked in my workbook that Dr. Gawalt gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment