Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summary June 18th 2014

Today was a little bit overwhelming. Well, my afternoon was, anyway.
I spent my morning recopying everything I had recorded into my notebook into a new one because the first page had begun to fall out and I cannot deal with a notebook that is falling apart so I spent about 45 minutes doing that. Then, Travis came into the lab.
I thought I had nothing to do aside from researching my project a little more and rereading the papers that had already been given to me until 1:30 when I had a meeting with Dr. Wheeler scheduled for. I was completely wrong. When Travis came to see me, he informed me that he had emailed me a new tutorial on command line for UNIX, two PDF documents of papers to read, a wikipedia page on Molecular Dynamics, and then later send me a Wikipedia page on Arrhenius' equation. Oh boy. I began reading and annotating the papers immediately. Travis said they would be dense I would get frustrated with the terminology, and he was correct. Oh boy.
At 1:30, Travis, Luther, and I all went to see Dr. Wheeler and discuss our project. Travis and Luther are doing similar projects and mine will be similar to Luther's so when Dr. Wheeler was talking to me, he was basically talking to both me and Luther. He discussed with me potential energy, kinetic energy, activation energy and what they have to do with a battery. Travis explained to me the Arrhenius equation, which is used to determine temperature dependent reaction rates. I was informed that I am going to have to pick my own system, one that is similar to Luther's but not exactly, and find the diffusion constant of it. Dr. Wheeler then explained to me the practical uses of Ionic Salts and since I had already researched them, this was the part of the meeting that I understood completely. The other 99% of the meeting, though essentially went in through one ear and out the other.
I'm looking forward to Travis teaching me physics and general chemistry, though. He's a really great co mentor. That should happen either later this week or next.
Until tomorrow, SEED.

No comments:

Post a Comment