Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summary June 19th, 2014

This morning after I finished the UNIX command line tutorial and finished reading the papers I was given yesterday, I began doing a little bit of research on my own. 
Dr. Wheeler had mentioned in the meeting yesterday that I was to become familiar with Newton's forces and instead of waiting on Travis to get me started on learning them, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Therefore, my morning was spent learning physics and molecular dynamics.
At noon, Steven and I followed our labs into the Bayer building for round 2 of our group sessions. Undergraduate and graduate students presented their research, or what they plan to be researching, thus far as we ate Jimmy John's (personally that was my favorite part of the whole group meeting). I recognized some of the terminology due to the fact that I was studying density functional theory and quantum mechanics last year so it was nice to be able to understand some of what was being presented to me. 
After the meeting, I came back to my lab and am currently working through another tutorial similar to the command line tutorial but instead of writing command line, I'm writing shell scripts which are basically the same thing except on a much larger scale. I might emerge from Duquesne this summer as a computer programer! Just kidding, I'm really bad at this. 
I also have a paper to read on the CHARMM program. I am supposed to begin that tutorial soon, but I'm not quite sure when. Travis is working on it, too, so I'll probably start once he's completely familiarized himself with it. 
I hope to receive my project next week. I'm kind of getting sick of tutorials, to tell you the truth.
Until tomorrow, SEED. 

No comments:

Post a Comment