Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Sarine McKenzie- June 16, 2015

Hi, everyone! I'm Sarine (as you can see from the label) and this is my first blog. I was born and raised in California, and I moved here three years ago. In the 2014-2015 school year, I attended Carrick High School, but I will be going to CAPA in the fall.

When I got here yesterday, I really didn't know what to expect. This is my first year being in this program, and I didn't know if I was going to like it. But I received a warm welcome from my peers and mentors, and everyone I've met so far has been really kind and encouraging. When I got my reading packets for the topic that I was going to start, I immediately felt overwhelmed. I had no idea what was going on, but my mentor was able to help by giving me other packets and explaining what most things were. By the end of the day, I still was pretty confused, but I was able to grasp a couple important concepts.

Today, I think I was more confused that I was yesterday. I began reading through a new packet that just seemed way too advanced and complex for me. By the time lunchtime came, I had read through the same packet about eight times, and I was still somewhat confused, but I'm beginning to understand what some of the main terms are, and what we'll be working on in the lab.

Tomorrow, I believe that I'll still be reading and deciphering that packet, but we might also begin looking deeper into our topic. I'm most excited about actually getting to work in the lab, because it's so much more advanced than a normal high school lab, and you get to work one-on-one with your mentor (which is really helpful). But as of right now, I'm more concerned with making sure I fully understand my topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment