Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blog Challenge #1

My love for science has grown immensely over the past few years, but it was not until recently that I decided I wanted to go to school for Pharmacy. I think it would be a great field for me to get into because I love all of the chemistry aspects of it. I would be able to help people through dispensing medicine rather than actual hands on medical work. I know of a few people who will be attending their final year of Pharmacy school this upcoming year and I can always go to them for when I need more information. I know that a lot of people are telling me that I should go away for college, but I really have my heart set on staying in Pittsburgh. I have a few colleges in mind that will keep me closer to home. Although, I am considering colleges that are a little further away. These colleges include: St. Francis University, Duquesne University,  and Lake Erie College.

St. Francis University
When applying to St. Francis it is required that you have at least 4 years of English, 3 years of Math, 2 years of Science, 2 years of Social Studies, 4 years of Academic Electives, and your standardized test scores. The University of St. Francis and Midwester University have created a dual acceptance program in pharmacy. You must apply to both schools and once accepted you may begin to obtain your associates degree at St. Francis and then finish your pharmacy education at Midwestern. St. Francis does not offer a specific pre-pharmacy major but they do offer a biology degree for students interested in pursuing pharmacy.
http://www.sf.edu/sf/chemistry/undergrad-programs/pharmacy-dual-acceptance
http://www.stfrancis.edu/academics/pre-pharmacy/#.UcsglaPJaSo
 

Duquesne University's Mylan School of Pharmacy
It is required that you have your standardized test scores for admissions and the classes that were recommended for admissions are as the following: 4 years of English, 2 years of a Foreign Language, 2 years of Math, 2 years of Science, 2 years of Social Studies, and 4 years of Academic Electives. Anyone who is looking to attend the Mylan School of Pharmacy at Duquesne University must first apply to their two-year Pre-Professional Pharmacy study. Once you complete this program you will be able to apply for placement into their School of Pharmacy. If accepted into the program you will then begin your four-year professional phase. The University gives a strong preference to those students who started their pre-pharmacy education at Duquesne as Freshman. Most of the students in the professional phase completed their pre-pharmacy at Duquesne University.
http://www.duq.edu/academics/schools/pharmacy/become-a-student/doctor-of-pharmacy

Lake Erie College
To be excepted into Lake Erie College, your high school requirements must include: 4 years of English classes, 2 years of a Foreign Language, 3 years of Math, 3 years of Science, and 3 years of Social Studies. It is very important for admissions to a have a great GPA, application essay, and standardized test score. As for the programs they offer, you would have to attend two years at an accredited undergraduate school followed by 3-4 years of professional pharmacy education at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. They also offer a year round curriculum which allows students to graduate one year early. The main campus is in Erie, Pennsylvania with 3 additional locations. One of which is Seton Hill University. Seeing as I would like to be closer to home, I would be able to attend Seton Hill for my undergraduate education and then attend LECOM to finish my education in their pharmacy program.
http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/423
http://www.setonhill.edu/academics/undergraduate_programs/pharmacy

No comments:

Post a Comment