Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blog Challenge #1

Ever since I was a child I have been interested in science. What first interested me about science was stars. I used to look up at the stars with such amazement until I figured out that they were just massive balls of helium and hydrogen. As I grew up I became interested in the inventions and theories of Einstein, which spiked my interest in nuclear engineering. In 1905, as part of his Special Theory of Relativity, he made the intriguing point that large amounts of energy can be released from small amounts of matter. This theory eventually lead to the development of the atom bomb. I then started to do more and more research on nuclear engineering. The colleges that I would like to attend are the University of Pittsburgh, Penn State University, and the University of Tennessee.

University of Pittsburgh, Main Campus, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is the first college that I ever considered to go to for nuclear engineering. For admission, you must have your high school transcript and admissions test scores(SAT/ACT). Half of the students that are admitted have an SAT math score of 590 and reading score of 570. For the Nuclear Engineering Undergraduate Program, students can chose to major in Engineering Science with a concentration in Nuclear Energy. For a certificate in nuclear engineering it is required that students take three units of ENGR 1700: Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, ENGR 1701: Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactors, and ENGR 1702: Nuclear Plant Technology. This will also give the students a background in nuclear engineering. Pitt offers a variety of internships and fellowship programs, which is why I really want to go there.

Penn State University, Main Campus, located in State College, Pennsylvania,  offers a very immersive nuclear engineering program. For admission, you must have your high school transcript, GPA, and admissions test scores. Half the students that are admitted have an SAT math score of 570 and a reading score of 530. It is also required that you have three units (years) in math, science, English, and social studies. Their nuclear engineering program is ranked eighth in the nation. As a nuclear engineer at Penn State you have the chance to participate in the Toshiba-Westinghouse Fellowship Program, which allows you to work on your own research project with a Penn State nuclear engineering faculty member.

University of Tennessee is a college that I would be honored to attend. I actually had a chance to speak with a representative of the university that talked to me about their nuclear engineering program. For admission you must have your high school transcript, GPA, and admission test scores. Half the students that are admitted have a SAT math score of 530 and a reading score of 510. To get into the nuclear engineering program it is required that you have a minimum grade point average of 3.0- 4.0 or a 3.0 during your senior year of undergraduate study. Students must also submit an application for admission to the Graduate School. Once selected, students may elect a traditional nuclear engineering program focusing on fission energy or a radiological engineering concentration, which prepares students for careers in the radiation safety field. Students without a Bachelor of Science degree must take the 433 and 470 course for graduate credit.

 These colleges present the best programs for me if I do decide to go for nuclear engineering. They each offer a number of different scholarships for students. Both Pitt and Penn State are fairly close to where I live. If I do decide to go to the University of Tennessee I will have family members there that will support me. I believe I have what it takes to make it in to anyone of these colleges because of my work ethic and strive for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment